Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Woman of the Week - Lindsey Vonn

Lindsey Vonn took the gold medal in downhill skiing in the 2010 winter Olympics. She is the second most successful female skier in history. Vonn recently put in a bid to ski against the men in a recent race. Unfortunately, her bid was blocked by the International Ski Federation (FIS). Vonn was obviously disappointed with the decision, saying,

"I don't want to make a big stink out of it but I feel like their response that I can't race with the men simply because I'm a woman was definitely gender-biased so I'm going to do what I can and hopefully make something work."

I'm so impressed that she wants to take on the men. I hope the FIS reconsiders because it would be great publicity for the sport. Women have been able to compete against men in other sports. Danica Patrick competes against men in NASCAR races. Swedish golfer Anneka Sorenstam went up against the men in the PGA Tour in 2003. Hopefully, the FIS will allow Vonn to compete against men in an upcoming race because it would be great to see her try to improve her skiing by challenging herself to go up against the menfolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment