Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Woman of the Week - Tara Maller

I just read an interesting article on CNN.com by Tara Maller entitled, 10 Reasons a Woman Should Head the CIA. Maller is a former CIA analyst, and I enjoyed her article because she made some great points about why it's important to have women in positions of power. My favorite reason is number 10: "Once a woman is appointed to a top position, it opens the door to others with immense talent. Since President Clinton appointed Madeleine Albright to serve as the first female U.S. secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton followed."

I know we're behind the times, but my husband and I just started watching the first season of Homeland, and we love it. Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, is a CIA agent who suffers from bipolar disorder. I love watching shows that have female lead characters that aren't defined by the men around them. There are too many shows that just use women as props, so I really appreciate television shows that have complex, three-dimensional female characters. My personal favorites: 30 Rock, Parks & Recreation, and New Girl.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I highly recommend Tara Maller's article. It's a good reminder of why it's important for women to hold positions of power.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/21/opinion/maller-appoint-woman-cia/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

No comments:

Post a Comment