Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Woman of the Week - Sandra Fluke

I am proud of Sandra Fluke for not accepting Rush Limbaugh's half-hearted apology for calling her a slut and a prostitute. Limbaugh only apologized after he was pressured by his sponsors. Fluke has been in the spotlight for the past few days because of Limbaugh's hateful comments. Fluke is a passionate women's rights activist. She graduated from Cornell University in 2003 and then worked for five years for a nonprofit that helps victims of domestic violence. She is now a third-year law student at Georgetown University. Fluke has spent the past three years lobbying to get her school to change their health care plan to cover contraception.

After reading about Sandra Fluke and everything she has accomplished for the feminist movement, I knew I had to choose her as Woman of the Week. She has handled Limbaugh's comments with dignity and composure. I don't think I would have been able to be as calm as she has been. If I were in Fluke’s position, I would probably let it slip that Rush Limbaugh is a disgusting waste of space. Or I might mention that he is so insecure with his own miserable life that he has to pick on people who are stronger/wiser/better than he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment