Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Woman of the Week - Chelsea Handler

Chelsea Handler, in my opinion, is the funniest late-night talk show host on television today. My husband and I watch her show every night (well, we DVR it and watch it the next day - we're too old/tired to stay up and watch it live). Chelsea also has a reality show about her talk show called "After Lately," which is hilarious. We have also been watching the sitcom based on her life called "Are You There, Chelsea?" The sitcom is pretty funny, but I think it hasn't hit its stride yet.

I love Chelsea because she's not afraid to say what she's thinking. She has a tough exterior, but you can tell she is a good friend and a good boss. It's obvious that she loves her job. She has worked hard to get where she is today. At the age of 19, she moved from New Jersey to L.A. to become an actress. Two years later, she started doing stand-up comedy. Her talent took her all the way to the top, and now she is one of the most successful people on television. She has written four books about her life, and she has done several stand-up comedy tours. I actually went to one of her stand-up shows a couple years ago, but I went to the 10PM show, and she was totally wasted. She wasn't funny at all, and I think I might have actually fallen asleep for part of the show (sorry, Chelsea!). Moral of the story: if you're going to see Chelsea Handler live, go to the 8PM show so you can see her before she gets too drunk!!!

One of my favorite things about Chelsea is that she openly talks about how she doesn't want to have children. She and Sarah Colonna (one of the writers/comedians on "Chelsea Lately") joke about going to get their tubes tied at the same time. I'm glad there are women out there who are open about not wanting to have children. The world would be a much better place if people only had kids if they really, really, really wanted them. So I'm grateful to Chelsea for voicing her opinions about not wanting children. I hope her shows are around for a long time because she brings a smile to my face every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment