Thursday, December 29, 2011

Searching for Debra Winger

I just finished watching "Searching for Debra Winger", which is a wonderful documentary directed by Rosanna Arquette focusing on actresses in Hollywood over the age of forty. Arquette interviewed more than a dozen successful actresses about working, having children, and aging in the spotlight. In the first scene of the documentary, Arquette talked about the first movie she ever saw called "The Red Shoes". She described it as, "a movie about a woman whose passion is dancing, and she falls in love with somebody who asks her to stop dancing and just be a wife; to give up her work and her art for him. She can't make that choice, so she dances herself in front of a train".

Well, I live right across the street from a metro station, a marc train station, and a bus stop, and I'm grateful to have a husband who wouldn't ask me to make a choice between my career and being a wife because I'm not going to be dancing in front of any trains! It seems that our husbands/boyfriends/partners are no longer asking us to make these difficult choices. Women are now asking themselves what they want to be. Should we focus on our careers? Should we focus on motherhood? These are the questions I am starting to ask myself. I'm determined to find a balance between my career and home life. Okay, so I don't have kids yet, but I'm about to turn thirty, and I know I'll be making these decisions in the next few years.

I think it is important for each woman to choose a path that she is passionate about. Debra Winger described what passion means to her: "I guess I've turned the word passion into whatever it is that melts your heart". I think pursuing your passion is vital to living a full and happy life. Passion time!

No comments:

Post a Comment